What is The Land-Based Cultural Leadership Program?
The Land-Based Cultural Leadership Program is a full school year program for grade eight students who enjoy being in the outdoors and want to improve their leadership and teamwork skills while working on the grade eight curriculum in a practical format. Students will not switch from subject to subject, class to class, but rather will take all classes with the same teachers in an integrated, project-based format. Through experiential education, students in the program will plan for their future by developing leadership and teamwork skills in a culturally responsive way, thereby enriching their lives and our community. The program has been created under the guidance of knowledge keepers and Elders and will seek to infuse Indigenous culture into the curriculum.
Who is it for?
The program is for grade eight students who want to spend their entire year learning the curriculum through hands-on, in and out-of-school experiences. It is for students who are interested in learning through integrated projects, in a holistic approach to learning that honours Indigenous ways of knowing. It is for young people who have shown the potential for leadership and would like to further develop it. Our program is geared towards those students who have this potential but might not have been able to realize it yet.
How do I apply?
- Interested students and parents/guardians should join an information meeting on Wednesday, April 27th at 7:30 pm. The parent meeting will be held in the library at Bishop Lloyd. In the event that you are unable to come, and/or would prefer to view it online, a version of the parent meeting is posted at the bottom of this page.
- Applications are available through the school. Applications will be due Monday, May 2, 2022 and should be handed in to the office.
- Click here to download the 2022-23 Application Package and to learn more about the program.
- Of the students that apply, a group will be chosen to participate in an overnight application camp at Vermilion Provincial Park from Monday, May 30, 2022 to Tuesday, May 31, 2022. More details about the Application Camp will be provided to those students who are chosen to attend.
- Applicants will be notified by June 3rd whether or not they have been accepted to the program.
To see more about what this year has looked like, connect with us on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/landbased_bl/